Thursday, November 16, 2006

Ode to Paul and Marmite


When I was younger and starting to date,
I wondered at how I would pick a soulmate.
And so in my folly I wrote up a list,
Of judging requirements before he'd be kissed.
The list wasn't weighty, the list wasn't long,
One qualification yet narrowed the throng:
He must eat Marmite and he must like it too!*
This dwindled my choices to only a few.
In fact my selection was totalled to zero.
Would no one arise as my brave, Marmite hero?
And then there came one on his toyota steed,
who entered our kitchen with ravenous speed.
I marshalled some toast and a Marmite deployment,
And in awe watched him eat it in raptured enjoyment!
As soon as he'd finished, the deed had been done.
He'd eaten the Marmite. So my heart was won.

*Disclaimer: Paul doesn't actually love Marmite. In fact, I believe I've heard him state before that he "wouldn't walk across the street for it. Still, I remember being impressed at his ability to eat it despite this fact, and I still love him anyway.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marmite is good, but it's mighty expensive--far above my humble budget. I drive a Toyota, not a Honda, and it's not old--at least it's younger then you!
If only I'd known it was so simple, I could have saved myself lots of time, money, and energy. I guess all those trips to the National Cathedral, Great Falls, Kennedy Center, Fredrick, and Norway went for nothing. I could have just showed up with a jar of marmite and saved myself the stress of proposing:-)

Anonymous said...

Haha, you guys are great :D - Keep it up!
Happy Sabbath to both of you.

Anonymous said...

Hello Petra: Your Mom provided us w/"DogaTink" and must mention Tinka looks quite sophisticated on the world wide web. Next you'll be seeing Tinka on CNN Entertainment! Anyway, we hope you're doing fine, and understand Martina and you will be home in December. Hope to see you gals then. Blessings/Peter, Marie and Kari Petrelis

Anonymous said...

Ahh Petra,
I remember that terrible stuff. What a great poem though. I'm so glad you two have something you can agree on. ;) Okay, so I know that's not all, but its still funny that you got him to eat it. Hmm... someday I'm going to have to meet this guy who's swept you off your feet. You'll have to come to Orlando some time... after I get back there in May that is. I'll do my best to show you around. Of course, what I can't show you, Todd can. It's helpful to be dating someone who has lived there nearly his entire life.
I hope things are well!
Love ya!

Paul said...

thank you for the automotive correction:-)
thank you for the ode. I'm honored to be the recipient of such fine work. you are a modern Dickens!