Friday, November 03, 2006

Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Flame

While scrubbing the lunch dishes in the kitchen this week, I was startled to discover that I am not the only person in this world who thinks that Christmas carols ought to be sung far in advance of December. I was yodeling forth my usual repetoir of hymns, when one of the head cooks interupted me with a shout from across the room, "How's about some English carols?" I was thrilled to oblige. Starting with the letter "A," I sang through as many Christmas songs as I could think of for each letter of the alphabet. I have never before sung with greater relish the familiar tunes of "I'll be home for Christmas" or "Christmas time's a-comin' and I know I'm going home!" Later, as I waded through the chestnut leaves under our campus tree, I discovered a great quantity of fallen nuts. The kids have been using them for target practice in preparation for future snowball battles. I gathered a handful and took them to my room. In keeping with the holiday spirit, I tried roasting some of them over my fireplace. I don't recommend it however: unless you don't mind roasting your fingers as well!

1 comment:

Paul said...

what did the chestnut taste like? I tried cooking over a candle once. my potato chewed like rotten rubber.