Sunday, November 26, 2006

Drowsy and Mislead

Oh little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie.
And so, like thee, Jerusalem is also sleeping nigh.
All Israel slumbers peaceful, a small repose to take,
While humble shepherds, in the fields, are watching wide awake.

Tiring, scholars and high priests have laid their scrolls aside.
And shamefully a coat of dust the sacred scriptures hide.
Mislead interpretations have kept them unaware,
While foreigners the prophecies inspect with honest care.

In drowsiness and ignorance the priests and people live.
While gentile kings and shepherd men a kingly welcome give.
Although the books and angels foretell the news to earth,
God’s people are not ready, and they miss His holy birth.

Now we, like Israel ago, await a coming king.
The same of whom the scriptures speak and hosts of angels sing.
We mustn’t let opinions our studies now benumb.
Keep us, Lord, awake so we are ready when you come.

8 comments:

Paul said...

I can't believe I'm marrying a poet! If only I'd known, I'd never have........... waited so long to propose. You are a wonder girl.

Threads Everywhere said...

The song, "I want to be ready when Jesus comes" immediately filled my mind. I don't want to be asleep, but to be watching and trusting that soon He will come to take us home! What wonderful promises, He came before and He will come again!We must let others know! Thanks for the poem, a reminder that God sent today:-)

Jan Robert (Robby) Heiberg said...

Nice poem Petra! I've got to show this one to my mum. She's all into writing poems as well, though in Norwegian. Keep it up!

Paul said...

I'm feeling drowsy, and I'm lost in a muddle of legal junk, but I'm finally starting to understand the poem:-)

Paul said...

your profile picture is misleading, were you drowsy when you picked it?:-) If you're going to hide behind one of God's creatures, shouldn't it be a female?

Paul said...

Klaus is pretty bird, but I'd rather look at the picture of you with the Marmite...

Petraglyph said...

Paul,
I don't think anyone is going to mind if I'm a male bird on my profile. Besides, if you get to show off Rollo every time you make a post, I should be allowed to show off Klaus every time I make a post! As far as the picture of me with Marmite, hmmm... maybe I'll write a special blog just so that I can post if for you.

Paul said...

thank you