Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Last Fifteen Minutes

“You’ve only got fifteen minutes left to your life. What are you going to do with it?” The preacher points his finger accusingly at the television audience, and the four of us fidget uncomfortably on the couch. We are watching one of my Revelation seminar DVDs in the girls dorm lounge. It has nearly become a tradition between Maria (our Slovakian Student Missionary) and myself to pop in one of these discs on Friday nights for general viewing after vespers. We never know who else will wander into the room. Sometimes it’s our confrontational Atheist student who is looking for a quibble. Sometimes it’s a pair of bored girls who want to make sure we aren’t watching something more interesting. But tonight, it is Tina, a young substitute teacher, and Jeanette, an aspiring nineth-grader. As the theme music comes on and the credits begin to role, the four of us ponder the preacher’s closing hypothetical question. What if we only had fifteen minutes left to life? What would we do with it? “Call my parents, perhaps?” suggests Jeanette somewhat doubtfully. “Snatch up my Bible and begin reading very fast?” says Maria, with a twinkle in her eye. “I might fall to my knees in prayer…” I propose, though not entirely convinced. We sit quietly for a few moments, mulling over the countless possibilities for such a short period of time. One by one I reject our previous ideas. My parents already know I love them. Why call them? The Bible is a wonderful book, but would a hurried fifteen minutes be beneficial to my grave? Falling to my knees in prayer might be the best option. Prayer never hurts. Yet, if I am already confident in my relationship with God, perhaps I should use my final moments on Earth for something else… “I tend to think that I would run outside and begin yelling to random people about the love of Jesus.” states Tina, entirely serious. We all turn to her in surprise. But as we think over what she has said, we can find no satisfactory rebuttal. Why not run out into the streets and begin grabbing pedestrians, telling them earnestly about what Christ has done for us? Isn’t that our mission on Earth anyway? Surely our self-conscious inhibitions would vaporize in the face of death. We wouldn’t worry about what people thought of us. But as the validity of this thought sinks in, we are threatened with an even more daunting question: Why wait till the last fifteen minutes?

On the day of Pentecost, the disciples ran out into the streets and began preaching. They did not have fifteen minutes left to live. Most of them had many years ahead of them, all of which would be filled with scorn from learned theologians and odd looks from common laymen. Yet, they preached God’s word all the same. “We are waiting for the latter rain of the holy spirit.” we tell ourselves in consolation. There’s no real need to make such a drastic move until then. Is there? The disciples were told to wait in Jerusalem until they received God’s promise of the Holy Spirit. We have received no such charge regarding the latter rain. We are told only to be watchful and pray because we know not at what hour Christ is coming. What will He find us doing in those last fifteen minutes?

16 comments:

Paul said...

Thanks for the thought provoking post.

As I've explained in my last two posts, I believe that the best thing to do in the last 15 minutes would be to help those around us. "Help" is contextual. Some folks need clothes, others need food. we should avoid dying rich... In some cases, shouting in the streets might be the way to go, in others, it might not. Shouting might draw some people to God, but it might also turn some away.
In the internet age, talk is very cheap and is unlikely to be persuasive. Actions still speak louder than words--even if they only last 15 minutes.
The most important thing is to build a close connection with God--like the disciples had--so we will know when to shout in the streets (like they did) and when to stay in the woods and meet people's physical needs (like Jesus did).

Language&Law said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Pet, that was a very potent blog. It really makes you think. I think that it is important to really keep a close connection with God as Paul said, because, that way no matter when you die you know that you are safe in His hands. That's the only place to be.

Jan Robert (Robby) Heiberg said...

Petra, that's a very good question. Again, as I commented on Paul's blog this morning: Othercenteredness! If this world had a stronger focus on that, I think the return of Jesus would be much, much sooner! Let's "get to work"!

Farf/Morfar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Farf/Morfar said...

There is an old story about St. Francis of Assisi.
Hoeing in his garden one day someone came up to him and asked, What would you do if you were told that the Lord would come today?
He scratched his head, thought for a moment, then replied, I think I would continue hoeing.

Lisa said...

Petra, your blog makes me think of a song that Steven Curtis Chapman sings about how we should all live our lives like it was our last 5 minutes on earth. I keep thinking what would I do. I like the thought of doing things for others. Our actions do speak more than our words. I think I'd like to spend my last minutes cuddling orphan babies.

Farf/Morfar said...

P.S.

Here's one of those linguistic pitfalls:
In legal language "continue" can actually mean discontinue. Just ask Paul.
But undoubtedly you understood that St. Francis would keep on hoeing, not discontinue it.

Petraglyph said...

Thank you for all of your comments. I must say that I agree that we ought to live our lives to the fullest during every moment.We never know when we might die. Yet my own post and Paul's comment has sparked a question in my mind that I intend to study during the next few days: what exactly IS the latter rain? What should we expect from it? How does it play into our current actions and choices? Ellen White tells us that we ought to prepare for it through earnest prayer and Bible study, so it must be something substantially significant. Any thoughts?

The View from Great Island said...

to whom much has been given much will be required. The greatest challenge is to answer not for 15 minutes but for every day and month and year and all of your life. that takes Grace and a Power beyond ourselves. but of course each day is made up of each minute. "gather up the fragments that nothing be lost".

Farf/Morfar said...

The point of the St. Francis story is that the end of your life on this planet should come as no surprise. You should be ready to leave at any moment, and if forewarned, there is no need for a change in your activities of daily living.
Readiness for the event is assured by daily (24/7), meaningful communication with your Father via prayer and the study of His Word.
Walking with the Lord as did Enoch (God took him, and he was no more)expresses itself in good deeds such as Lisa's cuddling of orphan babies.

barry said...

Superbe post, Petra.

May God help us!

Christy Joy said...

Petra, I would recommend an old book called "The Coming of the Comforter" by Le Roy Edwin Froom to help with your study of the latter rain. The pastor of the church that I used to attend in VA, who I might add is an AMAZING man of God and filled with the Holy Spirit, recommended it to our congregation and my family got a copy. Soon though, we realized that one copy wasn't enough because we all wanted to read it at the same time so I think we now have 3 or 4 copies. (http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-9838548-9058530?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+Coming+of+the+Comforter&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go)

Caitlin said...

Yes!!!
I second the recommendation! That book clarified so much for me, and it is filled with powerful gospel grounded inspiration on how God wants to fill us, guide us, change us, and unite us to finish His work here on earth!
"To everyone who offers himself to the Lord for service, withholding nothing, is given power for the attainment of measureless results. For these God will do great things. He will work upon the minds of men so that, even in this world, there shall be seen in their lives a fulfillment of the promise of the future state." - Ministry of Healing

Kristin said...

Petra, this post deserves a much more thoughtful comment than what I'm about to leave, but for now it will have to do.
Last year a few of us here at Southern decided that we wanted to have a spiritual retreat about the Holy Spirit. We didn't want it to be just another retreat, a spiritual high on the weekend and back to life on Monday. It was perhaps the most amazing retreat of my life and changed a lot of things in my life. I want to share with you the handout that we made and discussed over the weekend. If I could get your email address I'll send it to you if you'd like.

Petraglyph said...

Thanks again guys, for all of the helpful comments. I'm sorry I don't respond more regularly, but I'm not able to check my blog as often as I'd like to. I'll definitely try and secure a copy of that book by Leroy Froom. And Kristin, my e-mail address is Petra.Houmann@gmail.com. I like the idea that Farf shared about walking with the Lord, as did Enoch. I think if we do this, the "last fifteen minutes" shouldn't be an issue.