Friday, October 26, 2007

Plenty of Paw Paw


















During an excursion along the Maury River last Friday, we lit upon a whole "orchard" of wild paw paw trees. The fruit has a pleasant mango/papaya-like flavor. Yet, interestingly enough, it seems to be unappealing to both the mammal and insect kingdoms: not a specimen of it had been touched! We decided at once to load our canoe with as many pieces of fruit as it could hold. Clambering ashore, Robby, Martina and I tossed fruit at Paul while he did his best to catch and deposit them in the boat. Despite the lost samples which floated downstream, we ended up with a fair amount. Even after parceling some off to my parents, Martina, and Robby, we maintained 12 pounds for ourselves (about 80 individual pieces). Now we are enjoying paw paws for breakfast. And paw paws for lunch. And paw paws for supper. This morning, I ate ten. You know, I'm starting to think that if I were a wild animal living on the banks of the Maury, I wouldn't eat paw paw either...



9 comments:

Jan Robert (Robby) Heiberg said...

:) - well, that's how it is with most things. If you get too much, it doesn't taste so good. It actually fits very well with the consumer theory I'm learning in school. Btw, it seems like you didn't upload your pictures right, or maybe it's just something wrong with my mac - as I can't see the pictures.

Have a great weekend!

Petraglyph said...

really? that's too bad... I can see them fine on mine. Hey, what did you think of the paw paws we sent with you?

Jan Robert (Robby) Heiberg said...

Now the pictures showed up! The paw paws tasted delicious!! I believe I could live on them for quite some time. Though, ten 10 per meal - 30 per day - 210 per week - 840 per month might be a little too much... (thought I should stop the math there) :P

Paul said...

my very own squaw paw paw sassy-frass

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Hey Pet!
I know what you mean when you say that paw paws do get a little tiring when they are eaten non-stop. I got just the right amount (after giving two to Kelsey and John to sample).

Robby's right though, your pictures aren't showing up on my computer or Christen's.

Petraglyph said...

hmmmm... how odd! now I can't see the pictures either. I guess I'll have to try re-loading them.

Just so that everyone knows: once you reach and pass and certain point of paw-paw eating, they get better and better. I think I'm addicted to them now! It'll be sad when they're all gone...

Barry Howe said...

I never new about Paw Paws on the maury. I wonder if they're related to the real thing?

Per said...

We enjoyed the extra paw paws you left with us. It's interesting that no one seems to know or care about a delicious wild fruit that's available in abundance for free.

Grace said...

Well it looks like you had a fruitful adventure! I just posted another blog and I am trying to stay updated from now on. Hope to talk with you soon!